I just stumbled up a rare video of Steve Jobs in 1980 on youtube. The video was gifted to Computer History Museum by Regis McKenna and can also be found on their online Steve Jobs memorial site.
Jobs begins his talk by joking about why he was late to the talk despite having driven at 90 miles an hour. It was because he could not find any parking!
Steve Jobs 1980 Talk – Highlights With Clickable Youtube Timelines.
Click on the link below to skip to that time in the video and hear the related content from Steve Jobs.
- 1:12 : On 3rd grader using Apple Computers: “They beat me in most of the games in it.”
- 2:27 : On the Apple Computer: “We had absolutely no idea what people were going to do with these things when we started out.”
- 5:23 : Scientific American study on the efficiency of Locomotion: “Man is a toolmaker.. has the ability to make a tool to amplify an inherent ability that he has”
- 9:09 : So someone can buy a computer system and knows nothing about it and directly attack their problem without learning how to program a computer.
- 15:21 : Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. And that wasn’t just a bullshit slogan. It actually was really what we’ve been stiving for. And the apple scene symbolizes that.
- 22:00 : Why people have come to apple, certainly wasn’t for the salary.Lot of people came to apple and took 50% cuts in salary. We attract people on the basis of an opp to work your butt off and get something done right get it out of the door without getting something screwed up.