[Note: This works in new tumblr 2011 June onwards!]
When you sign up for a tumblr tumblog at tumblr.com, your blog profile will display an anonymous head in your dashboard and in other tumblogs where you reblog or like other posts.
Obviously this is ugly, so here is how you can change / update your tumblr profile photo.
Tumblr Update / Replace Profile Portrait Photo Video
If you prefer to see and do, here is a screencast video I put together, that shows you how you can change or update your profile portrait photo in the new tumblr via the dashboard.
Tumblr Update / Replace Profile Portrait Photo – Step By Step Instructions
- Logon to your tumblr blog dashboard.
- Click the link with the name of your tumblog right next to the dashboard link in the top menu. See screenshot below (Fig 1).
- This will display a Settings button in the right sidebar.Click this Settings button. (Fig 2)
- Here, you will see the Portrait Photo section with a box and a browse button next to it. Click the browse button and select your favorite profile portrait from your hard drive. Ideally this photo should be square, so that cropping is minimized or completely eliminated.(Fig 3)
- Once you have selected the portrait photo, scroll all the way to the bottom of this Settings page and click the Save Preferences button. (Fig 4)
- That’s it!.
You should now see your profile photo in your regular blog posting tumblr dashboard, and everywhere else on tumblr.com where you are reblogging or liking or socializing with other tumblr bloggers!